Blogging is gaining popularity among the Internet users day by day. People love to read and write blogs on different topics of their interest and expertise. Apart from being a source of two-way communication, blogs are also a great source of sharing your ideas with the world and also earn a few bucks.
The genres of blogs which are most common among the design community are the design blogs. Design blogs are a favorite among designs, developers, photographers and design related professionals. In these kinds of blogs, bloggers usually post How-tos about design, inspirations, photography, showcases of different art works and other tips and tricks according to their expertise. However, the mushroom growth of such blog sites has lowered the quality of design blogs, which is why I have come up with important tips to enhance the readership and quality of your design blog.
1. Layout – Give special emphasis to the layout of your blog. The layout of your blog should be designed in the form of an ‘inverted pyramid’ i.e. most important information followed by less important information.
2. Masthead / Blog Title – the masthead or title of your blog should be composed and prominent. Most readers make the very first judgment of your blog’s quality through its masthead. Try to make a logo out of your blog’s name and place it on the masthead. It looks professional and pleasing.
3. Colors and Combinations – Colors contribute a lot in communicating your message to your blog readers. If your blog targets to a particular group or belongs to a specific brand, then use the colors and combinations that attract your target group or the colors of the particular brand you are representing.
4. Uniqueness – Theme is an important element of your blog. Either you are starting a new blog or re-designing an existing one, pay special attention to your blog’s theme. Always choose ‘best out of the rest’ from a large pool of blog themes available on the Internet.
5. According to the Niche – Make sure that the theme you opt for your blog is right according to the particular niche you are targeting. If your blog is targeted to the designer community, the theme should be focused accordingly.
6. Load Time – Visitors are always short of time and for them load time of your blog matters much. Try to find a blog theme that has either a shorter load time or strive to create lighter pages yourself, without affecting the attractiveness of your blog.
7. Advertisement Space – Your blog theme should have proper space for advertisements, without mingling with the basic content. Although, advertisements have virtually no impact on the usability of your blog, however, this a little favor you might want to do to yourself. For instance, an advertisement of sticker printing company will have little use for the reader but it will be a good source for revenue generation for your blog.
8. Title of the Post – the title is the very first thing your reader notices on your blog. Treat the title as a ‘show-case’ of the main content of the post and always write catchy, crunchy and descriptive titles so that the readers may know what they are about to read. Similar is the case with sub-titles/ sub headings that should immediately tell what the paragraph holds for the reader.
9. Topics Selection – keep the topic of your posts strictly according to your blog’s niche and readership. Also, the subject on which you write should be timeless, so that your archives should never have stale content.
10. Writing Style – your writing style should be easily comprehendible to the readers. Avoid writing slang language, cliché phrases and also difficult vocabulary for the better understanding of your content.
11. SEO Friendliness – One of the major sources of traffic being redirected to your website is through Search Engines. Your content should be SEO friendly i.e. it should contain the popular keywords, should be better understood and ranked by the Google crawlers and should always contain original and fresh content.
12. Reader Friendliness – Although SEO is the main source of your ranking o daddy Google, and it ultimately generates money for your blog, however, we cannot undermine the importance of the readers. Readers all over the Internet come to your blog in search of quality content and if your blog is able to quench their thirst, only then they subscribe to it and want to come back for more. Therefore keep your blog’s content reader-friendly. Readers usually love topics on latest technological development, tips and tricks and how-tos etc.
13. Readability – Readability matters a lot to your blog readers. Internet users nowadays are always in a hurry and thus want to spend only a few minutes on reading the content. In order to improve the readability, bold the important words/keywords of the post.
14. Error-free – The textual content on your blog needs to be error-free. The spelling, grammar and sentence structuring should be perfect and should facilitate the subject matter while keeping the interest of the reader.
15. Content Length – The length of your daily post highly depends on your readers’ trend and preference. Some readers want too much detail on the subject; however there are some who prefer a ‘quick content’ to go through. The best way is to find your own size of content and post it accordingly.
16. Guest Posts – Guest posts are a great source of getting valuable and quality content on your blog, absolutely free. Guest posts are also a good source of sharing links between blogs (of the guest post writer and host blogger).
17. Starting – Starting of the content matters a lot. It works as the showcase of the main theme of the content. The starting should be crisp but detailed. always use a greeting before the Content.
18. Ending – “Everything is well that ends well”, is a great saying by a great writer, and if you want to produce great writing, end it well.
19. Keywords – Keywords are the most important aspect of SEO based content. Use keywords related to the post title as much as possible, however avoid over-do. You can also use most searched key words in your posts to make it more high-ranked in Google SEO.
20. Related Post – Related posts are important in better navigation that take the reader to other posts related to the topic they are interested in. It makes the reader visit other pages of our blog as well.
21. Most Popular – It is good to have a panel of Most Popular posts on the sidebar of our blog. It makes navigation easier for a new user and enables him to see what kind of content is posted on the blog.
22. Comments – Comments are integral part of blog navigation as these are quite useful in catching the feedback of the readers and also show how much our blog is read and appreciated. There are many comment box templates available on WordPress which can be applicable according to the requirement, however, it is good to have a comment box having picture, name and comment of the reader in it.
23. Sidebars – The sidebars of your blog are important for effective navigation. The sidebars can have Most Popular posts, Blogroll, Advertisements, other friend blogs and comments etc incorporated in them.
24. RSS – RSS is one of the oldest tricks in the book to gather more (and regular) traffic for your blog. Every blog should have an RSS icon at the top or on the sidebar of the blog. There are millions of free and interesting RSS icons available on the Internet that prompt the visitor to be a regular subscriber of the posts of your blog.
25. Social Media – Connecting your blog with social media is as important as regularly updating the content. There should be attractive social media icons at the base of every post so that the readers promote it and relate it with their social media networks.
Your design blog is not just a medium of social interaction. It is your source of public recognition, project generation and most of all earning good revenue online. Give a quick look to these 25 aspects of your design blog and see what is there to be done in order to add value to it!